Saturday, September 6, 2008

Myles, Eight.

We stood in the kitchen together, she washed and i dried and put away. She went on about everything she had learned about our new neighbors. I only caught bits and pieces but i did find out some things. They had moved here from Texas, because Sues husband had died. She was looking for a new start. Hmm.. a new start, that would be nice. Move away and never look back. She continued on, and i found out that I was right, Myles was 17, only a year older then me. His little brothers name was Christopher and he was 6. My mother kept talking until we were finished with the dishes, then i bolted from the house.
I headed for my favorite spot on the field. Soft grass, perfect shade, and slightly hidden, what more could i want? Lying back in the grass felt so good. No worries, no cares, just relaxation. I sat on the ground and then lowered myself to my side. Almost instantly after closing my eyes i fell asleep. Dreams loomed around me, like small clouds. Some black with bad, dark things with in them. While others were soft and made me smile in my sleep. I was lucky that afternoon, my dreams were all sweet... yet they were sad at the same time. I dreamed of when i was young, and my mother, father, and I walked along the beach hand in hand. They were talking about something i didn't understand, but i didn't care. I just kept right on singing my little songs and doing little dances. They noticed that i was doing this and they stopped they conversation, and swung me. They swung me back and forth so easily, like i was made of feathers. I might as well have been, because i felt like it. I felt like i was flying up and touching the sky then coming back down again.
I woke up abruptly from my dream world to the sound of my dads car pulling in tot he drive way. I sat up and saw my mother coming out of the house to greet him. No matter how dysfunctional i acted, they were always ecstatic to see each other. I never effected there relationship, which i was happy about. It meant i could be myself with out any repercussion. They embraced one another. That brought a smile to my face. Mom always said that my smile could warm up a room, that is if i let it rest on my face for more then ten seconds.

No comments: