Monday, September 8, 2008

Myles, Fourteen

Three traffic lights, nine stop signs, and 1 yield later i pulled into the bus station. I parked the car and turned it off. Sighing i stepped out. I found an empty bench and took a seat. There was a little old women with snow white hair sitting on the bench adjacent to me. Slightly hunched over, she held a wooden cane in one hand and the other lay over the top of her cream colored purse.
She then looked over at me and gave me a warm, friendly smile. I shot a half smile back at her, and he acknowledged it with a nod, then turned back. Where was her bus, i thought. I looked at my watch, it was 10:30, her bus should be getting here in 15 minutes. That 15 minutes felt like they were lasting forever, but at the same time counting down too quickly.
What if she had changed? Changed so much that we have nothing in common? What if we end up hating each other because we are so different. No, I couldn't think of this. It made me sad, and plus it made me want to hop back into the car and floor it out of there. So, I just sat. I sat there and didn't think, thinking about one thing led to another and then to another and then i started to over think, making everything in to a big mess.
I looked at my watch again. 10:43, I sighed heavily. Two minutes. I bite my lower lip, a bad habit i had developed over the years. The old women still sat on the bench, the bus station was still empty other then us, and the sun still was blazing over head. Then slowing but surely Bus number 36 pulled in and opened the doors. Three people got off, then four more, then two. I waited a second. None of them were Malinda.
Then, just when my confusion started turning into panic she bounded off the bus. She carried a pink and blue hand bag, that she wore over her shoulder. She had on clear jelly flip flops, a pair of pre-ripped dreams, and a pink T-shirt that read, Chick in Charge. Her hair was still the color of sand, but now it looked high lighted and was shorter. She looked around the platform with bight eyes. Searching person to person for a face she recognized. Her eyes came to mine. I smiled, and she raised he eyebrow. Then continued looking for me.

1 comment:

Isaleen Grey said...

i like that you narrate the journey through the traffic lights and stop signs and stuff, that's really clever. i like that you randomly threw a little old lady in there- and then dropped her just as quickly. it's exactly how people think when they notice someone they don't know. and how she's overthinking--obvs we both know about that...also clever: cindy's panic when she doesn't see melinda get off at first. people do that all the time...like, "omgamiinthewrongplacedidshemissthebuswhat'shappeningwhatdoidoomg!!"
and yes, i am making you read that without spaces. :P