Monday, September 8, 2008

Myles, Seventeen.

They noticed me standing there and their conversation stopped. "Hello dear," my mother said while giving me a warm smile. "Good morning, Cindy." Sue said, continuing the morning greeting. "Morning." I said weakly. I didn't even bother making eye contact as i walked by. I just went right to the refrigerator to get the eggs and bread. I wasn't looking at my mother but i was sure she was shaking her head in disapproval of my appearance and manners.
I scrambled the eggs and toasted the bread. A little burnt, but it still smelt nice. Just as i was setting the plates on the table Malinda appeared in the doorway fully dressed. That surprised me. I remembered when we were younger and we would stay in our Pjs all day. Sometimes we go out like that. My mom would bring us to places all the time. We would march right into a store or into the movies. People gave us odd looks of course, but we never cared.
"Morning Malinda," I said as I set her plate down, "I made eggs and toast for breakfast." She gazed at the table for a moment then walked over and sat down. "Could i just have some orange juice?" She asked. She didn't even make eye contacted with me. I sighed and poured her a glass of juice. My mother and Sue sensed the tension between us. "So, Malinda, how have things been for you lately?" My mother asked her. Malinda looked up from her juice, took a deep breath and then whipped a big smile on her face. Fake, i thought to myself.
She started rambling on and on about how her life was going, about her boyfriend, and about her new friends and school. I excused myself and went up stairs to change. Black dress, black boots, black hat. Same old, same old. Maybe that’s how I expected Malinda to be. I should have never assumed anything, but I did and now I was disappointed. Peachy. She became the kind of person I hated. The kind of people who are so bored with there own lives that they have to find ways to metal in others.

1 comment:

Isaleen Grey said...

disappointment sets in...